Steam Deck via Steam wallet?

Kupfer

Does anyone have reliable information on whether you can buy the Deck entirely through your Steam wallet? All I've found so far is a screenshot of an alleged email confirming that this will be possible. But I'm looking for an official statement on this rather than an easy to create maybe-troll screenshot.

It's not much, but I still have some items from my CS:GO days that I could trade for a share of the total 549€ 😌

God

I personally haven’t. On the brightside, when you receive the email from Valve asking you to pay for the deck, you will have 3 days to respond to that email before you lose your position on the reservation. Assuming that you can pay from your steam wallet, that gives you 3 days to sell your steam items to pay for your deck via steam wallet, which should hopefully be plenty of time.

Source for the three day payment window I mentioned.

Kupfer

Yes, you are right, let's see what happens - I'm sure I won't be the only one who thought of selling some items and let's assume that really many people sell their stuff for the Deck, this might even shake up the marketplace a bit.

I just asked steam support my question. Let's see when they answer it. I will of course share the answer with you. Then you can weigh whether you want to believe my shady screenshot.

A bit off topic, but when I clicked on your link and hovered over the image of the deck in the upper right corner, I saw that 82 user reviews are written down with a "very positive" feedback on the Steam Deck Deposit. I didn't find a way to read them though and I'm not exactly sure what this means 🧐

Pcb33.430-g1.jpg

Kupfer

Leaving this here ;)

That's the screenshot I found so far too, but some of the comments left me skeptical like :
eimmot123:
If this is true, then in theory you could buy a knife from a 3rd party website and you'd be able to buy the deck for up to a hundred euros less.
It seems weird for me that they'd enable wallet funds after disabling it for the valve index though. But hey, everything is possible and I'd be happy if this goes on to be true.

Kupfer

Okay I have changed my tactics. Since creating the thread I have searched online portals for purchase and sale -digital face to digital face- for Steam wallet cards that people are selling who can't do anything with them. I have written a few words with some, talked on the phone with others and it is frightening that almost all sellers are victims of scam attempts, which is why they are in possession of sometimes 15 x 20€ wallet codes.

Most of them don't even have a steam account let alone know what steam is.

Long story short,
such funds are often offered between 10% and 20% cheaper and I loaded the 550€ wallet funds needed for the Deck for a real 463€.

If you now divide the 87€ savings by the 5 hours of "work" for it, I come to an hourly wage of 17.40€ 😜 💰💰💰

If anyone feels inspired to try this, please be nice and fair to the sellers and keep in mind that they are only in this situation because some ***hole tried to wind up these unsuspecting, partly old, people.

Trevor

Sam's Club has a discount on gift cards. Including Steam wallet. I already bought one $100 gc and claimed it. I'm going to get the rest there
probably.

Anubis

Okay I have changed my tactics. Since creating the thread I have searched online portals for purchase and sale -digital face to digital face- for Steam wallet cards that people are selling who can't do anything with them. I have written a few words with some, talked on the phone with others and it is frightening that almost all sellers are victims of scam attempts, which is why they are in possession of sometimes 15 x 20€ wallet codes.

Most of them don't even have a steam account let alone know what steam is.

Long story short,
such funds are often offered between 10% and 20% cheaper and I loaded the 550€ wallet funds needed for the Deck for a real 463€.

If you now divide the 87€ savings by the 5 hours of "work" for it, I come to an hourly wage of 17.40€ 😜 💰💰💰

If anyone feels inspired to try this, please be nice and fair to the sellers and keep in mind that they are only in this situation because some ***hole tried to wind up these unsuspecting, partly old, people.
Where did you find them?.. was it in private markets or any shop??

Kupfer

Where did you find them?.. was it in private markets or any shop??
"Ebay-Kleinanzeigen", a kind of flea market offshoot of ebay, where private sellers sell their stuff to private buyers. Seller and buyer are in direct contact without a middleman, fees or whatsoever. I'm sure there are comparable platforms outside of Germany, but I have no idea what they are called.

Top Bottom